VACANCY: PhD positions in Random Graphs and Percolation.
Fully funded PhD positions are available at the Department of Mathematics of the University of Utrecht, to work on random graphs and percolation theory under the direction of Dr. Tobias Müller. The positions are funded by an NWO VIDI project on geometric random graphs and related percolation models.
The positions are for four years and offer competitive salary and benefits. They carry a modest teaching load which, in the case of foreign applicants, can be performed in English. One position is available immediately, but starting dates are negotiable as long as they are within the next calender year.
Utrecht is a lively, picturesque city in the center of the Netherlands, with excellent train connections to the rest of the country and to Europe (train trips to Amsterdam take 20 minutes and 25 minutes to Schiphol Airport).
REQUIREMENTS: Candidates should have completed a Masters degree in Mathematics or a related discipline by the time they start the position. A strong background in probability theory and discrete mathematics is advantageous, but mathematical maturity and motivation are more important.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: For full consideration, please apply on or before 9 March 2016. Reviewing of applications will commence on 9 March 2016, but we accept applications until all positions are filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send the following material to email@example.com:
1. A cover letter including an explanation why you consider pursuing a Ph.D. in the area of random graph theory and percolation theory;
2. An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
3. A list of all courses taken for your bachelor’s and master’s degrees together with grades and explanations of the grades;
4. If available, a copy of the Bachelor thesis and Master thesis;
5. The names and contact details of two academic referees, one of which should you be your master thesis supervisor. Please make sure that they also send their confidential reference letters directly to
firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive by the deadline.
GENERAL INFORMATION: You will be offered a full-time position for four years. The gross monthly salary will amount to EUR 2.146,- in the first year to EUR 2.744,- in the fourth year (P-scale of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). It is supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8,3% per year. In addition Utrecht University offers a pension scheme and a partially paid parental leave.
INQUIRIES: If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to Tobias Müller, email@example.com.